[BioC] interpretation of vsn normalized data

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Tue Feb 21 12:22:49 CET 2006

I agree. There is a difference between hypothesis testing and
estimation. Microarray is good for hypothesis testing (and hypothesis
generating) but not good at estimation.

Consider the following two observations :

1) Different platforms and softwares (e.g. preprocessing algorithm) give
rise to different dynamic ranges and there is no agreed gold standard.

2) It is common that biologist validate the genes ranked highly by
microarray results with a method such as real time PCR to estimate the
fold change accurately.

Given these two observations I do not see why biologists are obsessed by
the need to observe a two-fold change by microarrays !

Therefore whether the log is to the base 2, 10 or natural is irrelevant.

Regards, Adai