[BioC] Invalid fold-filter

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Tue Feb 21 06:19:21 CET 2006

Bornman, Daniel M wrote:
> Robert,
>
> After reading your response to my initial question, I do not believe you
> addressed exactly what I attempted to describe.  Please pardon me for
> not being clear.  I think your response assumed I was filtering on
> unadjusted p-values then applying a correction such as Benjamini &
> Hochberg to a reduced set.
>
> My question was rather on the validity of first filtering each gene
> based on fold-change between two sample groups (i.e. controls vs
> treated) then calculating a test-statistic, raw p-value and corrected
> p-value on each gene that passed the fold-change filter.  I am worried
> that using the group phenotype description to filter followed by
> applying a p-value correction is unfairly reducing my multiple
> comparison penalty.

  It does, and it does not matter how you get there, using one test
(fold change) to filter and a different test (t-test) for p-value
correction does not really change the fact that if both tests make use
of the same way to define samples, then there are problems with the
interpretation.

> I propose that a less biased approach to fold-filtering would be to
> filter probes based on the mean of the lower half versus the mean of the
> upper half of expression values at each probe regardless of the
> phenotype (non-specific).  This would surely (except in some instances
> where a phenotype causes drastic expression changes) cause the
> fold-filtered set to be larger and thus not unfairly decrease the
> multiple comparison penalty when computing adjusted p-values.

   Well that is one thing, but really IMHO, you are better off filtering
on variance than some rather arbitrary division into two groups (why 1/2
- many of the classification problems I deal with are very unbalanced
and 1/2 would be a pretty bad choice). And, it is variation that is
important (whence ANOVA - ANalysis Of VAriance).

  Best wishes,
    Robert

rgentlem at fhcrc.org