[BioC] GCRMA explained in words

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Feb 8 14:34:48 CET 2006

Richard Friedman wrote:
> Dear Bioconductor list,
>
> 	I am trying to get a understanding
> and verbal description of GCRMA.  I know that
> it involves fitting for non-specific binding in
> a GC-content dependent way, but it is not clear how.
> If I were to explain RMA in words (thanks to Benilton and other
> list members)  I would say that
> the probe frequency vs intensity plot is fit with
> a Guassian Model for noise and an exponential model
> for signal.

This isn't an explanation of RMA, but an explanation of how the
background is estimated when running RMA (an explanation of RMA would
need to talk about robust model fitting).

Is it correct to say that in GCRMA, the fit is
> the same as in RMA but with set of probes of a given GC
> content fit separately?

Basically, yes. The idea is to 'bin' MM probes based on the GC content,
and then estimate the background for each bin. Since the background
binding will be affected by the GC content of the probes, you get a
better estimate of background than you would if you ignore the GC
content, which is what RMA does.

After background correction, GCRMA and RMA are identical.

HTH,

Jim

If not, how would one put it with