[BioC] affy chips' quality control question

Francois Collin fcollin at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 6 19:42:15 CET 2006

Hello Ren,
Being puzzled in this case is a good thing as there
are no hard and fast rules as to which outlier chips
should be excluded from an analysis.  In a sense, the
answer really depends on the analysis in question.
One way to answer the question of which chips should
be excluded, or treated differently, is to see the
impact that each chip has on the results.  You
mentioned planning to do pairwise comparisons.  Why
not initially include all chips and see how aberrant
the results are for the pairs that include the outlier
chips.  If your pairwise comparison entails looking
for differentially expressed genes, I suspect that b6
will be the worst offender in spite of having normal
looking NUSE values.

Hope this helps.

-francois