[BioC] LIMMA makeContrasts question

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sun Dec 3 09:49:42 CET 2006

Dear TS,

You are wanting to select genes which satisfy several conditions.
There is no way to do this with a single contrast. You need to
compute all three contrasts and then select genes:

cm = makeContrasts(ON=ON-WT, KO1=KO1-WT, KO2=KO2-WT, levels=design)
fit <- lmFit(data, design)
fit2 <- contrasts.fit(fit, cm)
fit2 <- eBayes(fit2)
results <- decideTests(fit2)
selectedgenes <- results[,"ON"]*results[,"KO1"]== -1 &
results[,"ON"]*results[,"KO2"]== -1
sum(selectedgenes)
write.fit(fit2[selectedgenes,], file="myresults.txt")

Unfortunately I don't know of any good introductions to linear models
which are suitable for a biology audience.

Best wishes
Gordon