[BioC] Non windows utility for CEL file Binary to Ascii format conversion

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Sun Aug 13 23:41:51 CEST 2006

And I can only underscore Ben's point:
if you are writing a package, please try to use some of the standard
tools to read/write files, compute simple summary statistics and use
standard data structures. While it may take a little longer initially
your code will work better with Bioconductor and you will get most new
features more easily than writing them yourself. And of course these
other packages have often been widely tested, relieving you of such a
need.  As always, folks here in Seattle are available to help with such
integration.

  best wishes
    Robert

Ben Bolstad wrote:
> Although this doesn't really directly answer your question ....
>
> You might consider prompting the authors of the sscore package to
> consider building on top of the standard structures and parsers. Based
> upon the vignette for this package it appears that they already
> partially do so by making use of ReadAffy() to build an AffyBatch. From
> what I can tell sscore wants the original CEL files to get the
> "[OUTLIERS]" section.
>
> They could get the "outliers" section from a specified CEL file like
> this (using the parsers in affyio 1.1.7 or later which is what
> ReadAffy() is using).
>
> myCEL <- read.celfile("/path/to/mycelfilename.CEL")
> myCEL$OUTLIERS
>
> I'm sure there is also a perfectly acceptable way to do it using the
> affxparser package.
>

> Users shouldn't really be forced to have to make manual file format
> conversions. Instead the parsers should handle this all automatically.
>
> Best,
>
> Ben
>

> On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 22:02 -0400, Lakshmanan Iyer wrote:
>> Hi
>> The SScore package reads ascii  format affymatrix CEL files only and I have
>> a few binary format CEL files.
>> Affymatrix provides a tool that can be used to convert the formats but this
>> is for windows only!
>>
>> I am wondering if there is any other utiltiy that allows one to convert the
>> binary format Affymatrix CEL files to Ascii format.
>> -Thanks
>> -Lax
>> Tufts University School of Medicine
>> Tufts-New England College of Medicine