[BioC] how to check BioConductor version?

Jianping Jin jjin at email.unc.edu
Thu Aug 10 17:58:03 CEST 2006

Many thanks Seth! That script helped a lot.

One more question. After installing a new version of R, for example 2.3.1,
the command biocLite() should let you install the default subset of
packages listed in the new release (BC v. 1.8) that are built with the
newly installed R, shouldn't it?

Thanks again!

Jianping

--On Thursday, August 10, 2006 7:50 AM -0700 Seth Falcon
<sfalcon at fhcrc.org> wrote:

> Hi Jianping,
>
> Jianping Jin <jjin at email.unc.edu> writes:
>> We are running R-2.3.1/BioConductor on a Sun machine. I am wondering how
>> I  can check which version of BioConductor, 1.8 or 1.7 for example, was
>> installed? Do I need to check package(s) of my  interest by
>> packageDescription() and see what version of R this package was
>> built with?
>
> Packages in a Bioconductor release do not share a common version
> number.  As a result, you will want to verify installed package
> versions against the version number that is part of a given release.
>
> You can use packageDescription to find the installed package version.
>
> You can browse the package version number in a particular release
> here:
>
> http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/bioc/1.7/src/contrib/html/
> http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/1.8/bioc/
>
> You can also pull the package information from the online repositories
> using available.packages and then do comparisons in R.
>
> [below, untested outline of how to go about this]
>
> bioc18 =
> available.packages(contrib.url("http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/1.8/
> bioc/")) instPkgs = installed.packages()
> commonPkgs = intersect(rownames(bioc18), rownames(instPkgs))
> mapply(function(x, y) compareVersion(x, y),
>        instPkgs[commonPkgs, "Version"],
>        bioc18[commonPkgs, "Version"])
>
> + seth

> Search the archives: