[BioC] Duplicated probesets for the same gene

Ye, Bin binye at med.wayne.edu
Mon Apr 24 14:34:23 CEST 2006

Hi, Saroj,

How have you been?
As far as I know, the different probe sets are corresponding to different region of the gene, I don't know why Affy do this, probably they originally thought the probe sets for the same gene but different region will serve just like a "probe sets sets", a 2nd-layer confirmation of the gene expression, but it turned out sometimes the different probe sets of same gene express differently too. Sometimes it's because the probe sets are not all hybridize to the coding region of the gene, so when we do our analysis, we only consider the expression of the coding region probe sets, which, of course, take some "Blast".

Hope other experts can give better ideas about this!

Bin