[BioC] PLIER affinities redux

Crispin Miller CMiller at PICR.man.ac.uk
Wed Oct 19 10:33:08 CEST 2005

Hi all,
Sorry for not being part of the conversation earlier...

Let me take a look at things and put a patch together...

Thanks for pointing this out,

Crispin

-----Original Message-----
From: bioconductor-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch [mailto:bioconductor-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Jeremy Gollub
Sent: 18 October 2005 19:12
To: Matthew Hannah
Cc: bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: Re: [BioC] PLIER affinities redux

Hi, Matt -

This was indeed useful.

Examining r$affinity for a varying number of samples on RAE230A arrays, I find the following behavior:

- length(r$affinity) = <# of samples> * 175,477
	- I believe 175,477 is the number of useful probe pairs on the array.

- sum(r$affinity != 0) <= min(<# probe sets> * <# samples>, <# probe pairs>)

That is, the number of non-zero values increases to a maximum of the number of probe pairs, but is always less than the number of probe sets * samples.
This explains why your results suggest probe sets * samples - if you used more samples, you'd see the non-zero affinities hit a maximum count of the number of probe pairs.

It seems pretty clear that this behavior arises from the C++ code, not from justPlier as I previously suggested.  I still suspect it's incorrect, though, since my understanding of the PLIER algorithm is that there should always be one affinity value per probe pair (so I should always be seeing
175,477 non-zero values, minus the values that are legitimately zero).  I'll see whether I can confirm that, and report back if so.  Comments from those more knowledgeable than I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Jeremy

Matthew  Hannah wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> I got distracted whilst still in draft and in the meantime Jim has
> responded. Anyway to add -
>
> I pasted your code into my fresh BioC install and it doesn't work with the ATH1121501 array either, it's inherent in the justPlier code.
> Looking at justPlier code shows that it returns a matrix of probeNames(eset) x sampleNames(eset) which is consistent with what we find. After investigating it seems the r$affinity (within justPlier) is 159683 values followed by zeros until length 1757546. This is ~100000 short of what is needed for 1 affinity per probepair but if you divide it by the number of arrays I had = 159683/7 = 22811.86 it is pretty close to the number of probesets on the array(22810). So this would imply a probesets x samples output matrix.
>
> Not sure if this is still helpful after Jim's response.
>
> Cheers,
> Matt
>
> Dr. Matt Hannah
> Max-Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology Am Mühlenburg 1
> 14476 Golm
> Germany
>
> + 49 (331) 567 8255 (phone)
> + 49 (331) 567 8250 (fax)
>

> Hi, All -
>
> James MacDonald (I think) answered my previous posting, and I promptly
> lost the message.  Thanks, James, and apologies.
>
> The issue at hand was strange and (I believe) incorrect reporting of
> probe affinities from justPlier (plier package).  At James' suggestion
> I have update to R 2.2.0 and plier 1.2.0, but the affinities are still
> coming back in a sparse <# probe pairs> X <# arrays> matrix, rather
> than as a useful vector.  The colnames of this matrix are the
> sampleNames from the eset provided to justPlier; the rownames are the probeNames.
>
> James, you said this doesn't happen to you.  How do you retrieve the
> affinities?  Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong slot (see below).
> Looking at the justPlier source code, though, I don't see any other
> way to get them.
>
> Also, does justPlier allow one to pass the affinities back to another
> invocation of the method, rather than computing them from the current
> data?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Jeremy Gollub
>

> The session (edited for readability):
>
> #
>
> > sessionInfo())
> R version 2.2.0, 2005-10-06, i386-pc-mingw32
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] "tools"     "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"
> [7] "datasets"  "base"
>
> other attached packages:
> rae230acdf      plier       affy    Biobase     qvalue
>   "1.10.0"    "1.2.0"    "1.8.1"    "1.8.0"    "1.4.0"
>
> > data <- ReadAffy()
> > data
> AffyBatch object
> size of arrays=602x602 features (50972 kb) cdf=RAE230A (15923 affyids)
> [...]

Jeremy Gollub
jeremy at gollub.net