[BioC] R-2.2 and BioConductor 1.7: changes in GC-RMA and fitPLMprocedures

Ben Bolstad bolstad at stat.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Oct 18 16:00:28 CEST 2005

Hi,

It is good to hear that the results agree. The function bg.correct.gcrma
was introduced into the affyPLM package at the time of the previous BioC
release (1.6) as an aid to allow you to use the GC-RMA background with the
fitPLM, threestep, threestepPLM etc (ie you could supply
background.method="GCRMA" as an argument to any of these functions). In
this latest release the GCRMA now includes bg.adjust.gcrma which does
essentially the same correction (as you have discovered) but with a
slightly different set of arguments. These differences will be removed in
the future.

As an aside, I would be a little wary about combining the GCRMA background
with fitPLM when your only interest is quality assessment.

Ben