[BioC] memory problem with fitPLM in package affyPLM

fhong@salk.edu fhong at salk.edu
Thu Jun 9 19:48:46 CEST 2005

Thanks, Ben. That helps a lot! But I still have some questions? Would you
please also help me on this.

> There were significant changes in the structure of the PLMset object
> between 1.2.x and 1.3.x which is why you are having problems with the
> boxplot(), Mbox() commands on your old PLMset using the new code.
But why when I reload in to R 2.0.1 ( the on ei used to generate PLMset
object), and tried boxplot ( suppose to produce NUSE plot), it gave me
something strange (see attachment)

> To reduce memory usage with fitPLM I suggest that you do something like
> the following
>
> Pset <- fitPLM(my.Data,output.param=list(varcov="none"))
>
> which should significantly reduce memory usage (and this should really
> be the default setting, an oversight on my part which will be fixed
> shortly).
>

> Also, if you can live without the weights (or alternatively the
> residuals) you could do
>
> Pset <- fitPLM(my.Data,output.param=list(varcov="none",weights=FALSE))
>

> or
>
> Pset <- fitPLM(my.Data,output.param=list(varcov="none",residuals=FALSE))
>
> which would also reduce the memory overhead.
Will those simplificaiton change the underlying model that is fitted to
the data. e.g., weights=FALSE doesn't this mean it won't use iteratively
reweighted least squares (IRLS)?

Thanks!

Fangxin

Fangxin Hong  Ph.D.