SV: [BioC] random block effect and technical replicates within array at the same in linear model using Limma?

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Jun 8 01:28:43 CEST 2005

On Wed, June 8, 2005 4:11 am, Jakob Hedegaard said:
> Dear Gordon & list
>
> Why is it not possible to fit random block effect and technical replicates within array in the
> same linear model?
> Is it because
> - the statistical theory is not ready? - or
> - it is not implemented in Limma?

The first reason.  This is why I said "Being able to do so awaits the development of new theory".
Theory already exists of course to fit linear models with more than one random effect.  The aspect
of the theory which is not ready is an effective way to do the between-gene smoothing.

Gordon