[BioC] makeContrasts in limma

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Jun 8 01:13:19 CEST 2005

It is true that makeContrasts() doesn't accept character-valued variables.  E.g.,

> makeContrasts("A-B",levels=c("A","B"))
> makeContrasts(A-B,levels=c("A","B"))

will both work but

> x <- "A-B"
> makeContrasts(x,levels=c("A","B"))

will not.  I will have a think about how this might be fixed.

To compute a design matrix to make all possible pairwise comparisons, it is easier to do this
directly.  Here is a little function which does the job:

> design.pairs <-
function(levels) {
n <- length(levels)
design <- matrix(0,n,choose(n,2))
rownames(design) <- levels
colnames(design) <- 1:choose(n,2)
k <- 0
for (i in 1:(n-1))
for (j in (i+1):n) {
k <- k+1
design[i,k] <- 1
design[j,k] <- -1
colnames(design)[k] <- paste(levels[i],"-",levels[j],sep="")
}
design
}
> design.pairs(c("A","B","C","D"))