[BioC] Affymetrix SDK Bioconductor package?

Kasper Daniel Hansen k.hansen at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Jun 2 20:58:54 CEST 2005

Just to be really clear, what we are talking about is an interface to
http://www.affymetrix.com/support/developer/filesdk/index.affx?terms=no
which is  a C++ library which can parse CEL, CHP, CDF, BPMAP, BAR files.
Several of these file formats are already readable by BioC, but I still
think it is nice to have an interface to an official parsing library.

The license used is LGPL-2, so there should be no problem there - right?

Kasper

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 06:47:56AM -0700, Seth Falcon wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> On 21 May 2005, bullard at berkeley.edu wrote:
> > We are hopeful that people will think this is a good idea - we
> > cannot see any reason why this would not be a good addition to
> > Bioconductor, and would very much like to finish the work with the
> > blessing of the BioC community.
>
> Extending Bioconductor's ability to parse binary Affy data sounds like
> a good thing, as long as there are no license issues with respect to
> the Affymetrix SDK (as Tony mentioned).
>
> If I understand what you've described, the logical place for this
> functionality would be in the affy package itself (not another package
> that duplicates existing functionality).  So a good starting point
> would be to contact Raphael, the affy maintainer (see DESCRIPTION file
> of affy).
>
> In general, this sort of extending/adding-on/improving of existing
> packages is very much appreciated and possibly even blessed :-)
>
> Best Wishes,
>
> + seth

Kasper Daniel Hansen, Research Assistant
Department of Biostatistics, University of Copenhagen