[BioC] limma: eBayes / topTable and the choice of the "proportion" parameter for models with multiple contrasts

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Sat Dec 3 03:12:54 CET 2005

Dear David,

At 03:16 AM 2/12/2005, Dr. D. P. Kreil wrote:
>Dear Sir/Madam,
>
>I would be grateful for your comments regarding the interpretation of the
>"proportion" parameter of limma's eBayes function.
>
>The documentation says: "assumed proportion of genes which are
>differentially expressed".
>
>How does that relate to more complex linear models with multiple
>coefficients/contrasts? In topTable, using the "coef" parameter, a linear
>model coefficient or contrast can be specified. In that context,
>differential expression directly makes sense. The eBayes routine, however,
>does not take a "coef" parameter, so what is the meaning of
>"differentially expressed" there for a linear model, in general?

The meaning is that the same proportion is assumed to apply for every
contrast. This may admitedly be unrealistic.

>Is that 1 minus the proportion of genes that are non-differentially
>expressed in all contrasts? In that case, the more complex the model, the
>smaller "proportion" should be set, correct?

No. I can't see any reason to think so.

>   If trying to crudely estimate the parameter from the data, what would
> you recommend?

I recommend not estimating it, for reasons that I explain in Section 6.4 of
Smyth (2004) (http://www.statsci.org/smyth/pubs/ebayes.pdf). You're
certainly free to vary the proportion based on your biological
understanding of the process for each fit or contrast.

Best wishes
Gordon