[BioC] Probe indices for the Drosophila2 Affy chip

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Aug 8 20:38:02 CEST 2005

Eric Blanc wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I have problems understanding probe indices for the Drosophila2 chip:
> the xy2indices and xy2i functions return different values, and I
> couldn't find anywhere whether either of them has been deprecated. xy2i
> seems to return indices compatible with pmindex, mmindex and probeIndex
> functions. (I made sure that the indices from the functions pmindex,
> mmindex and indexProbes were self-consistent and they are. The MM index
> always is 732 greater than its corresponding PM index).
>
> Also, the number of indices returned by the pmindex, mmindex and
> probeIndex functions is 42 less than the number of probes in the
> drosophila2probe data frame. All probes from sets "AFFX-Dm-pd2EGFP_at",
> "AFFX-Dm-pAsRed2_at" and "AFFX-Dm-pDsRed-Exp_s_at" seem to be missing.
> I don't know why they don't come up, as they aren't those which have an
> even y coordinate (only 180 probes in 9 probesets or 20 probes each).
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1) Can you confirm that xy2i and i2xy are indeed the functions to use
> instead of xy2indices and indices2xy ?

These two functions should return the same thing. What do you get from
nrow(abatch), where abatch is the name of your AffyBatch? Also, what do
you get from getOption("BioC")$affy$xy.offset?

For the first, you should get 732, and from the second you should get 0.
If so, the functions should return identical results.

> 2) Is there anything wrong with the 3 missing probe sets that I should
> know ?

I don't think there is anything wrong with them - for whatever reason,
Affy did not include these three probes in the cdf for this chip, but
they did include them in the probe_fasta file, which is why you are
getting differences between the cdfenv and the probe package.

Best,

Jim