[BioC] BlueFuse in limmaGUI [was LimmaGUI Error]

Brooke-Powell, Elizabeth etbp2 at borcim.wustl.edu
Wed Aug 3 19:19:43 CEST 2005

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your help, I am saying that in previous versions of LimmaGUI I
have not had a problem loading and analyzing BlueFuse data. I load the data
in following LimmaGUI's series of pop up boxes. First it brings up as box
asking where the files are, I tell it where the gal file is and then the
targets file and finally the spot types... it then asks what type of results
files I have, I click on the other box (because there is no BlueFuse
option), and then get the box asking what the column headers are for the
foreground and background for each of the channels. I type in AMPCH2 for the
Cy5 (foreground and background), then I type in AMPCH1 for Cy3 (fore and
background) then it goes onto to the pop up box asking if I want to use
background correction, I select no, and then a pop up window appears for
spot weighting and If I select yes it tells me that I can only use it when I
load the data in using the preset formats (in the window where I select
other) for GenePix and yes all other file types except BlueFuse. If I
continue it then tells me it will continue without spot weighting... so I
always select no spot weighting as why see the error... One on the side
problem is that if for example I want to use GenePix data, but not read in
the mean data column (that last I knew was preset data column for GenePix
files), but rather the median data; I need to use the other function in the
results file type so I tell LimmaGUI which columns to look at and then
select yes in the spot weighting window it still will not allow me to then
say which column has flag data so it cannot use spot weight for GenePix data
in this instance......

I have been using LimmaGUI since it came out and over the last few years
have had no major problems. Through loading many types of data files and
comparing them to the ScanArray files I also have I have narrowed down to
what is causing the error. The problem is not in using BlueFuse data files,
but rather Fused BlueFuse data files... The fusion combines on slide
replicates and out puts a different results file (looks the same just only
has one data point per oligo control etc). I am thinking the problem is
coming form the fact that the gal file has replicates separated and the
results files doesn't. I am not sure why this matters for plotting an M box
plot, but do realize it might be a problem later on in analysis (although I
cannot use the replicate spot function as our replicates are in the same
blocks so I always keep the reps separate).

Hope that adds further clarification,

Liz