[BioC] Weight functions for Agilent chips (limma)

Malard, Joel M JM.Malard at pnl.gov
Fri Sep 24 02:30:56 CEST 2004

Hi Giovanni,

Sorry, being new to R programs, it took me some time to parse your own.

Could something of the sort be useful to you?

wtAgilent.mRGOLFilter <- function(qta) {
    mapply(min,1-qta[,"gIsFeatNonUnifOL"],1-qta[,"gIsFeatNonUnifOL"],
                  1-qta[,"gIsBGNonUnifOL"],1-qta[,"gIsBGNonUnifOL"],
                  1-qta[,"gIsFeatPopnOL"],1-qta[,"gIsFeatPopnOL"],
                  1-qta[,"gIsBGPopnOL"],1-qta[,"gIsBGPopnOL"])
    }

I don't see (visually) much difference (for this data set) between this
last filter and the previous

wtAgilent.mRGFilter <- function(qta) {
mapply(min,qta[,"gIsPosAndSignif"],qta[,"rIsPosAndSignif"]) }

best regards,

Joel

P.S. For completeness sake, the Agilent manual describes 8 0/1 variables
related to outliers:

"gIsFeatNonUnifOL" and "rIsFeatNonUnifOL" :
    a value of 1 indicates Feature is a non-uniformity outlier in g(r)
Boolean flag indicating
    if a feature is a NonUniformity Outlier or not. A feature is
non-uniform if the pixel noise
    of feature exceeds a threshold established for a "uniform" feature.

"gIsBGNonUnifOL" and " rIsBGNonUnifOL" :
    a value of 1 indicates Local background is a non-uniformity outlier
in g(r).

"gIsFeatPopnOL" and " rIsFeatPopnOL" :
    a value of 1 indicates Feature is a population outlier in g(r).
Probes with replicate features on
    a microarray are examined using population statistics. A feature is
a population outlier if its
    signal is less than a lower threshold or exceeds an upper threshold
determined using the
    interquartile range (i.e., IQR) of the population.

"gIsBGPopnOL" and "rIsBGPopnOL" :
    a value of 1 indicates local background is a population outlier in
g(r).

> Hi Joel,
> actually, I was trying to use the 8 outlier fields (columns AZ-BG of
the Agilent output file) in a way similar to the 'flag' fields of other
platfoms...