[BioC] Li Wong PM-only "background" correction

Laurent Gautier lgautier at altern.org
Sun Sep 19 17:10:32 CEST 2004

Ann,

A more exact way to mimic the Li and Wong method with the command
expresso is:
expresso(affybatch, normalize.method="invariantset",
          bg.correct=FALSE, pmcorrect.method="subtractmm",
          summary.method="liwong")

As you say, Li and Wong state their model as:
PM_ij - v_j = Theta_i*phi_j + e
with v_j a background term.

(One can note that is currently disputed
  whether MM_ij is an appropriate background term or not.)

remark: If you use this often you can make your own wrapper
liandwong <- function(abatch, ...) {
   expresso(affybatch, normalize.method="invariantset",
            bg.correct=FALSE, pmcorrect.method="subtractmm",
            summary.method="liwong", ...)
}

Hoping this helps,

L.