[BioC] using mat.samp in siggenes

Holger Schwender holger.schw at gmx.de
Thu Sep 16 19:10:53 CEST 2004

In the unpaired case, a balanced permutation is a permutation of the group
labels such that each group contains the same number of samples from each of
the original groups. So if each of the 2 groups contain n samples, then in a
balanced permutation, each group contains n/2 samples from group 1 and n/2
samples from group 2. If it is not possible to get balanced permutations,
they should be at least as balanced as possible -- what ever this means. The
argument bal for balanced permutations which can actually only be used in
the unpaired case will be removed in the next version of siggenes.

If I understand you correctly, sam uses what you call balanced permutations
in the paired case.

Best,
Holger