[BioC] RE: RMA normalization

Dalphin, Mark mdalphin at amgen.com
Tue Sep 14 00:38:32 CEST 2004

Our results match what you say Mark: normalization across cell types by
quantiles, etc is problematic (at best) due t the different distributions of
the RNA concentrations. In our hands, simulations suggest that when more
than ~10% of the RNA species (randomly selected) change substantially in
concentration, _all_ of our normalization methods go out of whack.

We _believe_ that externally spiked-in standards would permit normalization
across multiple cell types. While we haven't had the chance to test external
standards for a variety of technical reasons (mostly finding a set that
really shows no cross-hybridization, then preparing that set in sufficient
quantity and then convincing all the people who do the benchwork that the
extra work is worth while), I have read that this too is no panacea. The
major complaint I have read is that a mis-matching of the amount of external
standard will really damage the ability to normalize the experiment and
leave no trace of that systematic error. It is apparently very tough to add
the external standard in a reproducable manner (disclaimer: I have no bench
experience with microarray).

Mark Dalphin