[BioC] Re: [S] Error in clustering procedure

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Sep 7 20:43:55 CEST 2004

cstrato wrote:

> Sorry, but I cannot resist:
>
> Any comments of the microarry community on the usefulness of
> hierarchical clustering of 7000 genes?

I think this would be almost completely useless. First off, clustering
is not an inferential technique, so its use has been completely oversold
IMO to the biological community. Secondly, clustering is usually done to
produce a 'heat map' to put in a paper or flash on the screen during a
presentation. How on earth would this be of any use? You couldn't even
read any of the gene names!

Of course you could use the heatmap to impress friends and colleagues
with the fact that you rate a computer powerful enough to *do* a heatmap
with a 7000 x 5 matrix ;-D

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald