[BioC] GeneExpressionOmnibus (GEO) question

Ilya Venger ilya.venger at weizmann.ac.il
Wed Oct 27 13:33:36 CEST 2004

I know that I can query the GEO database using the AnnBuilder package.
However, I don't know exactly what to do next.

NCBI states that the data they present in GDS accessions is normalized,
but they don't explain how.
The GSMs of different contributors not necessarily match, and they
sometimes lack parts of the data. Also, if the raw data is submitted,
how come they don't show the measurements for both repetitions of each
gene in a cDNA array.
Another problem, is that although the GDS are claimed to be normalized
the sum of logs for all genes on a chip doesn't sum to 0.

So, if anybody worked with GEO before, and has experience at it I would
be glad to pose several more specific questions.