[BioC] Limma B-statistics

Brian Lane bsl8096 at liverpool.ac.uk
Fri Oct 22 12:06:15 CEST 2004

Hi,
I need some help with the interpretation of B statistics generated by
eBayes in the limma package.

I want to compare gene expression in three groups of Affy samples. The
probe level data was generated from .cel files (ReadAffy()), an exprSet
object was generated using mas5 (scaled to 100) and a linear model fitted
to the data using a design based on the three groups (6, 5, and 5 samples
in each group, respectively). I have then made 3 contrasts to cover all
possible comparisons within the data set, and generated empirical Bayes
statistics using eBayes. I've then used classifyTestsF to classify each
gene according to the contrasts.

The results of all this are 23 significantly differentially expressed
genes. The moderated t-values for all these 23 genes have p<0.01. However,
all the B-values are <0 (average -3!). In fact, a volcano plot of log-odds
and fold-change in the three contrasts show that all the B-values are
negative.

My understanding is that B<0 implies the gene is more likely to not be
differentially expressed than to be differentially expressed. If this is
the case, should I take the "significant genes" seriously? If not, is there
any reason why the B-values should all be negative or does this simply
reflect the fact that there is little evidence of differential expression
in the data set as a whole?

Regards,
Brian Lane
Dept of Haematology