[BioC] hexbin, par("usr"), legend

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Oct 21 22:28:43 CEST 2004

    Jenny> Are there any plans for changing the behavior of
    Jenny> "plot.hexbin" w.r.t. the graphics parameters,
    Jenny> especially 'par("usr")'?  The current behavior makes
    Jenny> it hard to add elements to the plot (which is a
    Jenny> really handy and attractive plot, I should add).  I
    Jenny> know I can create a type="n" plot of the x-range and
    Jenny> y-range, use 'hexagons' to add the hexagons, and add
    Jenny> other elements to my heart's content .... but then
    Jenny> the legend for the hexagon colorramp becomes a
    Jenny> difficulty (the documentation is clear that the
    Jenny> legend function is not really meant to be called by a
    Jenny> user, but only by "plot.hexbin").

yes, there are big plans for big changes:

The current development version of hexbin will use  grid
graphics which allows "everything" in principle,
but the user utility functions might well be lacking initially
-- and you willl have t ouse grid (or lattice) graphics;
no par(.), no traditional graphics...
Also, the result of hexbin() will be an S4 object instead of a list.

There is some unfinished discussion going on,
if the old version of hexbin should be kept available in package
"hexbin0" -- for those of you who can't update quickly to the
new API to hexbin graphics.