[BioC] probelms with hexbin (Solaris, R1.9, BioC 1.4)

Ariel Chernomoretz ariel.chernomoretz at crchul.ulaval.ca
Fri Oct 8 18:01:13 CEST 2004

Hi to all,
I want to use the hexbin package in order to reduce the size of scatter
plot files.
However, after installing hexbin 1.0.8 I found a very unstable behavior
For example, from a fresh R session, running twice
 > example(hexbin)
produces a segmentation fault.

In addition even with the very simple example provided in the doc
the following error messages appears (sometimes):
 > library(hexbin)
 > x<-rnorm(20000)
 > y<-rnorm(20000)
 > hbin<-hexbin(x,y,bins=40)
Warning message:
Lost counts in binning in: hexbin(x, y, xbins=40)
 > plot(hbin)
Error in plot.hexbin(hbin) : plot width too small

I also tried with the developmental version 1.0.10 and got a
segmentation fault
(I am not using a dev version of R)

Solaris 8
R 1.9.0  (compiled 64 bits)