[BioC] More environments facilities ?

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at jimmy.harvard.edu
Fri Oct 1 17:57:27 CEST 2004

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 04:58:40PM +0200, Adrian Alexa wrote:
> Dear Bioconductor developers,
>

> I'm using Bioconductor packages and I use more often environments. I
> was happy to see that there are new functions in the Biobase package
> that work with environments:   copyEnv, l2e, etc.

 And there are even more in R itself, things like $ and [[ work (but
 NOT for numeric indices, only for character values and they do NOT do
 partial matching). Also of note is as.list, which will coerce an
 environment to a list. If you want something that let's you peak at
 the values let me suggest DPExplorer.

 And also, please do note that eapply is a reasonable choice of apply
 for environments.

> Unfortunately I didn't find a function that returns the 'lenght' (no.
> of elements) of an environment. I know that I can do:
>
> > length(ls(env))

  why not length(env), which seems to both work and be faster...

> but I think this is slow and somehow redundant. Also I know that I can
> write a simple C function, but I will like to have this facility into
> R and not loading my function every time.
>
> I would like to know if such a function can (or will) be included into
> a next version of biobase package.
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Adrian
>

> --
> Adrian Alexa
> Max-Planck-Institut fuer Informatik
> Stuhlsatzenhausweg 85 Room 514
> 66123 Saarbruecken, Germany

| Robert Gentleman                 phone : (617) 632-5250                   |
| Associate Professor              fax:   (617)  632-2444                   |
| Department of Biostatistics      office: M1B20                            |
| Harvard School of Public Health  email: rgentlem at jimmy.harvard.edu        |