[BioC] how deal with multiplicate affy probes?

Lawrence Paul Petalidis lpp22 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 26 10:46:56 CET 2004

Hello Laurent
Thank you for your message. Yes, I do use the target sequence for BLASTing
as opposed to performing multiple blasts with each of the probe sequences as
I find this is faster. I am not suggesting that BLASTing all probe set
target sequences is an option, not yet at least - and I am not performing
this exercise for all genes. However, if there are genes that one is
interested in particularly, and a priori, it is worth it.

For example, I have genomic annotation for 5 genes (ie I know if they have
amplifications or deletions in my tumour samples) and am looking at these
genes on the Affy U133 chips very carefully (multiple probe sets issues,
specificity) to assess correlations of expression with genomic status. For
the MDM2 gene for example, a probe that was said to be _at really seems to
pick up a sea of different transcript variants when assessed by BLAST (and
verified by subsequent multiple sequence alignment of the target sequence
against the transcript variant sequences found).

Indeed, I agree, this is most likely because the information available at
the time did not include these novel variants, but I had the impression that
NetAffx was routinely updated against the current Unigene version. I am
somewhat perplexed however, as it seems that although NetAffx is updated,
some of the information is still based on the Unigene 133 version and in
some cases the probe set display tool is not sufficiently up to date.

In any case, my initial message did not refer to a widespread issue with the
technology but aimed to raise a discussion on the issue of _at probe
unique-ness, an issue that I believe could have been dealt by in a slightly
better way in NetAffx.

Many thanks for your attention, Lawrence

Lawrence Paul Petalidis
Ph.D. Candidate

University of Cambridge
Department of Pathology