[BioC] Quantile normalization vs. data distributions

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Tue Mar 16 22:05:36 MET 2004

The problem with p-values is that they measure the "surprise factor" not
the size of the effect.  Suppose that you are testing a cholesterol busting
drug, and it really has the effect of lowering mean choldesterol (over your
population) by .001.  Does anyone care? (Cholesterol values generally range
from about 100-400.)  But if your sample size is big enough, you have power
to detect infinitismally small differences.

For the purpose of normalization, we probably want the probe distributions
to be similar.  If they are already identical, we do not need to
normalize.  So, with a sufficiently large sample, all we will learn is that
the probe distributions are not identical - but not how far apart they are.

--Naomi