[BioC] limma genedata

Matthew Ritchie mritchie at wehi.edu.au
Fri Mar 12 00:29:53 MET 2004

Hi Dennis,

> Hello all,
> Thankyou for your suggestions yesterday (re: getting started), they
> were extremely helpful. Now I have a more specific question about the
> limma User's guide. In section 8.2 on the 2-sample w/reference method,
> the plot commands reference an object "genelist" that points nowhere
> for me. I have to delet the item to get the command to work, and this
> causes results to be returned absent identifiers. I'm referring to the
> following command:
>
> toptable(coef=2,number=15,genelist=genelist[,1:6],fit=fit,eb=eb,adjust="fdr")
>

> ? Can I replace
>
> genelist=genelist[,1:6]
>
> with
> genelist=RG$genes
> or something similar?

Yes, this should work fine.  If you have duplicate spots on your arrays,
and have used them in the linear model fit (ie ndups=2, etc in lmFit()
), you'll need to adjust your genelist using uniquegenelist() so that
the number of rows (genes) of the genelist argument in toptable() agrees
with the number of rows (genes) in the fit argument (otherwise the names
toptable() gives you won't be right).

Best wishes,

Matt Ritchie