[BioC] when do linear models work?

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Thu Mar 4 21:37:05 MET 2004

Dear Arne,

If you declare your factors to be factors "as.factor(x)" then lm creates
indicator variables which allows a different mean for each
treatment.  These means will not lie on a straight line.  So we are not
assuming linearity in the sense you discuss below.

The "linear" in linear models does not indicate that the data vary around a
line.  It indicates that the estimated effects are linear functions of the
dependent variable (i.e. if you multiply all of your response variables by
the same constant, the estimated effects are multiplied by the same
constant.  The t and F-tests are therefore independent of the measurement
units.  If you are using the log of the data, it means that your tests of
statistical significance will not depend on whether you use log2, log10 or
natural log.)

--Naomi Altman