[BioC] RE: AffyPLM

Mark Reimers reimersm at mail.nih.gov
Wed Mar 3 20:26:55 MET 2004

> -----Original Message-----------

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:08:45 +0100
From: <Arne.Muller at aventis.com>
Subject: RE: [BioC] AffyPLM
To: <naomi at stat.psu.edu>, <fcollin at sbcglobal.net>, <lpp22 at cam.ac.uk>,
	<bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch>

If the horizontal striping (due to the scanner) is a systematic error, then
one doesn't have to bother, right? However, I've found some strange blobs
(with "tentacles") on a few of my chips that sneeked through the standard
QC.
I guess this is not be a systematic error.

How do you decide when you've to discard a chip?

	regards,

	Arne
Arne,
We find that the SE estimates are useful, in conjunction with MDS plots of
samples. When one sample has a much higher SE range than the rest, then that
sample almost always appears as an outlier in the MDS plots. Conversely, the
majority of extreme outliers (but not all) seem to come from chips with high
SE values.

regards

Mark

Mark Reimers,
Laboratory of Molecular Pharmacology
National Cancer Institute
Bldg 37, room 5068
Bethesda, MD 20892
+1 301-402-2706
NB. I read email only twice a day. If an issue is urgent, please phone.