[BioC] RMA and quantile normalisation

Francois Collin fcollin at diabetes.ucsf.edu
Wed Mar 3 15:16:27 MET 2004

Anne,
There is no reason why the distribution of expression values across a
collection of genes should be normal.  A given gene may have a normal
distribution across samples depending on the selection of samples.  If there
is structure in the sample set (treatment groups, etc), then normality of
errors around the main effects may be a reasonable assumption.  If your
analysis assumes normality for the distribution of expression values for a
given sample across all genes, you may want to compare your results with
those obtained from an analysis that doesn't make this assumption.
Models are fitted to background corrected, normalized probe intensity data
for each probe set separately.  At that level, the distribution of residuals
is not inconsistent with a contaminated normal error distribution for which
a robust estimation procedure as used in RMA makes sense.

-francois