RMA vs. MAS 5.0 fold change compression (was Re: [BioC] RMA vs VSN)

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Tue Jun 22 00:35:50 CEST 2004

I believe this is due to the fact that you have used Fold Change to
filter your gene list. Try filtering your genes by t-test or SAM and see
how the two lists compare.

In the last paragraph of the Results section of Irizarry et al, 2003
(Pubmed ID : 12582260), the authors mention that RMA compressed the Fold
Change estimates by 10-20%. This could be due to the quantile
normalisation.

But in reality I often find 50-60% compression and am wondering why is
this myself. If anyone could shed light into this area, it would be much
appreciated.

<SNIP>