[BioC] Clustering in R

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Jun 17 10:16:59 CEST 2004

OK, admittedly it is not incredibly simple, but it is not *that*
difficult.

If you are familiar with R, it should take you an hour or two;  if
unfamiliar, perhaps a day or two.

The commands you want (and need to read the help on) are:

hclust
plclust
dendrogram
as.dendrogram
cutree
heatmap

With intelligent use of hclust -> cutree -> subsetting -> hclust (in
that order) you will be able to drill down into your dendrogram and
create sub-trees - until you get to the level where you can see your
gene names.

An important message to take home here is that if you have 14000 genes
and therefore 14000 labels, it's going to be difficult to display your
tree in ANY software, including the expensive commercial products.

Let me know how you get on

Thanks
Mick