[BioC] how to reduce the file size of scatter plot matrix

Wolfgang Huber w.huber at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Wed Jul 14 15:47:48 CEST 2004

Hi Michael

> I think the png() command is what you should use. Using postscript() or pdf()
> will essentially duplicate your data and project it into postscript
> expressions. If you are only interested in the picture, png() is the way of
> choice. jpeg() is IMHO not a good alternative, as it will smear out hard
> contrasts, which are abundant in scientific plots.

... while we're talking about image quality: I often use a sequence of
commands like

   dev.copy(pdf, file="img.pdf", height=..., width=...)
   dev.off()
   system("convert -density 360 img.pdf -compress RLE img.tif")
   file.remove("img.pdf")

which assumes that the program "convert" from the imageMagick package is
in your path and is of course a little clumsy compared to talking to a
real device but works well e.g. for inclusion of images in Powerpoint.

Best wishes
  Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Huber