[BioC] An ESR essay about software design, and how it applies to Bioconductor

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Fri Feb 27 21:34:33 MET 2004

Excellent criticisms!  I'm happy that you are willing to answer them
in detail, and look forward to a piece-by-piece description of how we
can improve!

I'm not joking, and I'm not being snide.  This is a manpower issue,
and having worked with open source projects nearly as long as Eric,
can hardly help but agree with him.  Documentation, for which we do
better than most, is a huge weak spot for this project.

BTW, anyone else who can take a stab at it, feel free to send
criticisms to me, and if relevant or not sure, to the list.

As a specific task -- we'll be starting API/function/code review
sometime soon, anyone can help with this task, simply build R devel
and try out the new packages, telling us (or me) what you hate.

best,
-tony

(speaking in my capacity of Bioconductor release manager, who will be
spending close to a month over the last month and the next two,
preparing the next release which has grown to the point of being
absolutely huge).