[BioC] limma: merging RG list and normalisation

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Thu Feb 26 01:59:40 MET 2004

Hi Chris,

You're absolutely right that there's a need for merge at the normalized
level for exactly the reason that you say, and I guess that we'll add it in.

The reason that limm doesn't have a merge method for MALists is that I use
a different method to solve the, often arising, problem that you mention. I
find that there are sometimes small differences in gene IDs between
different print runs, and there is always a certain indeterminacy
associated with repeated ProbeIDs as row names. So I tend the sort all the
normalized MAList objects according to the DNA 384-well plate position from
which each spot was printed rather than using the ProbeIDs.

If the different print runs use the same set of 384-well plates library but
with different numbers of pins etc, etc, try this.

po1 <- printorder(RG1, set appropriate arguments)
o1 <- order(po1$plateposition)
po2 <- printorder(RG2, set appropriate arguments)
o2 <- order(po2$plateposition)

MA <- cbind(MA1[o1,], MA2[o2,] )

Normally the arguments for printorder() are set in the $printer component
of the MAList. For this to work, you need to know what was different about
the print runs which caused the probes to land in different positions on
the array - e.g., different number of pins, different duplicate spacing etc.

Cheers
Gordon