[BioC] Beginner help

Vincent Carey 525-2265 stvjc at channing.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 30 18:23:55 CET 2004

> I start End2End Lab but when I get to  library(bioclabs) I get this message

The rule of thumb here is: When a package is
needed that is not available to you, use reposTools to
try to get it.

library(reposTools)
install.packages2("bioclabs")

note the "2"

If you have problems with this approach, please check the FAQ
for problems that may arise with HTTP request resolution, and
if in particular install.packages2 works for some other packages
but not the one you need, feel free to query the list.

> Error in library(bioclabs) : There is no package called 'bioclabs'
>
> I tried to find bioclabs but have not had any success.  Seems I am spending
> more time trying to make something work then actually learning
> Bioconductor.  Of course in this process I am learning a lot about
> Bioconductor, but not what I really need to know.
>
> What I really need is a R/Bioconductor for dummies book  that has exercises
> I can work through :)

We are working on a monograph about bioc, but it is hard to
develop software, make it available on a wide variety of
platforms, write about it, answer questions about
installing it all at once.  Considerable effort has gone into
simplifying software access through reposTools and the
web site.