[BioC] Bioconductor documentation

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Sun Aug 29 15:58:08 CEST 2004

As always, I am grateful to the developers for donating their wonderful
software.  However, the issue of why the documentation is hard to use keeps
rearing its head, so ...

One of the problems I am finding with the Bioconductor documentation is
that it is not sufficiently explicit, so I often need to go into the code
to determine what the routine is doing.  As 2 examples,

lmFit (limma) can take as input an marrayNorm object and by default
extracts "maM".  But if you type ?lmFit, this is not given in the
documentation.  I have not looked at the Vignette to see if it is listed
there.  However, I see the vignettes as tutorials - I should be able to
find out what a routine does from its internal documentation.  The
documentation should be explicit about what is extracted from each type of
input object and what is output (if this differs by input object).  I might
note that this is particularly cogent for limma, since limma works directly
with contrasts for 2-color arrays, but requires an extra contrast step for
1-channel arrays.

Similarly, I cannot tell from the documentation for maNorm or maNormMain
whether the background values are used in the normalization.  I.e. the
documentation should state which component of the input object will be used
and how.

Thanks.

Associate Professor
Bioinformatics Consulting Center