[BioC] annotation - 1 probe with 2 UG ??

John Zhang jzhang at jimmy.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 25 21:16:32 CEST 2004

>The probeset 220184_at at hgu133a - affymetrix
>is annotated as Hs.479995 if I use the annotation package of BioConductor
>but if I go to netaffx(affymetrix-see details below) is annotated as
>Hs.329296, in both of them with Symbol: NANOG. Furthermore, using
>Hs.479995 in affimetrix returns no results.

UniGene clusters change over time. Probe 220184_at was mapped to Hs.479995 in
the release version but to Hs.329296 in the devel version (which was built
later). To get the devel version installed you do:

>library(reposTools)
>install.packages2("hgu133a", develOK = TRUE)

>Maybe this is a naive question but shouldn't I suposse that
>the bioconductor package where created using affymetrix information ?

No. The bioconductor annotation packages were created using various public data
sources (e. g. LocusLink, GO, KEGG and so on). The information from Affymetrix
was used to get the unified mappings between probe ids to LocusLink ids only.