[BioC] Harsh results using limma!

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Mon Aug 16 16:06:09 CEST 2004

Hi Tony

I take your point, but I am no longer talking about my pitifully
replicated three-animal experiment ;-)

I am extending the argument to the larger case where I might have plenty
of replicated experiments and still want to find significant genes
amongst sub-populations.  I've had one e-mail which shows that this is
possible, so I am happy.

What everyone needs to understand, though, is that on one hand we have
statisticians saying we should have 100s of replicates and on the other
hand a legal obligation and an ethics committee saying we have to use as
few animals as possible.  There's also an element of "don't shoot the
messenger"; I didn't design the experiment, in fact the 1st I heard of
it was when I was asked to analyse it (hands up on the list who's
experienced that....).  I *know* there should be more replicates, but at
the end of the day, I need to make as much use of the data I have as is
possible, and any number of "Argh"'s and "you need more replicates"'s
are not going to help me :-D

Thanks

Mick