[BioC] Re: multiple comparisons in limma [was: Now I get it(almost)]

Richard Friedman friedman at cancercenter.columbia.edu
Mon Aug 9 14:39:45 CEST 2004

Gordon,

	Thank you very much. Although the problem is not neatly solved I would
still appreciate your advice in the matter.
Do you also suggest applying the FDR correction to the contrast
p-values?
Or should I use the uncorrected contrast p-values?

Best wishes,
Rich

On Aug 7, 2004, at 2:51 AM, Gordon Smyth wrote:

> At 05:48 AM 7/08/2004, Richard Friedman wrote:
>> Gordon,
>>
>>         I now believe that I understand your answer. In order to do
>> adjust for both  multiple comparisons and
>> multiple tests I use classifyTestsF() with method="fdr". If I
>> understand the documentation correctly, the fdr part
>> refers to the multiple test correction across genes on top of the
>> multiple comparison adjustment across levels performed
>>  if no method were to be specified.
>>
>>         Do I have it straight?
>
> No, not quite. classifyTestsF() doesn't actually have a 'method'
> option, so you can't use it with method="fdr".
>
> Please understand that making multiple adjustments simutaneously
> across genes and across contrasts (comparisons between levels for
> example) is still an unsolved problem, so it may be too much to expect
> neat solutions from limma or concise explanations from me.
>
> One way that you could proceed is to compute an F-test p-value for
> each gene, testing for any differences betwen the levels of your
> factor, and use p.adjust() to apply "fdr" adjustment to those p-values
> across genes. Then for those genes which are chosen as showing some
> differences, you can examine the individual contrast p-values more
> closely to decide which levels are different.
>
> Notice that the F-test p-value is computed automatically by eBayes()
> and is stored as fit$F.p.value in your MArrayLM linear model data
> object.
>
> Here is some example code which applies "fdr" adjustment in a
> hierarchical fashion, first at the overall gene level, and then at the
> contrast level after deciding on the gene cutoff:
>
> fit <- eBayes(fit)
> selectedgenes <- p.adjust(fit$F.p.value, method="fdr") < 0.05
> pmax <- pmin(fit$F.p.value[!selectedgenes], na.rm=TRUE)
> results <- classifyTestsP(fit, p.value=pmax, method="fdr")
>
> Gordon
>
>> Thanks and best wishes,
>> Rich

>>> Given assumption of common variance across levels, yes.

>>> Nothing special about this design. All usual things, e.g. in limma,
>>> apply.
>>>
>>> Gordon

Richard A. Friedman, PhD
Associate Research Scientist
Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center
Oncoinformatics Core
Lecturer
Department of Biomedical Informatics
Box 95, Room 130BB or P&S 1-420C