[BioC] Genbank to Unigene IDs

Dave Waddell dwaddell at nutecsciences.com
Fri Apr 16 21:53:18 CEST 2004

There are a number of problems in all of the solutions proposed.
1. Flat files like Hs are huge and grepping them takes forever.
2. Keeping flat files up to date is a waste of bandwidth.
3. The annotation really needs to be in some kind of database such as
SOURCE, Matchminer, DAVID or whatever with indexes on each field so that
searches can complete in a reasonable period of time.
4. HTML based tools are handy for small searches but useless if you want to
perform searches with a large number of terms where you expect to get back
parseable data.
5. Many Genbank Accession numbers (ESTs in particular) don't map to
Locuslink therefore going from Accession number to Locuslink to Unigene
simply doesn't work i.e. AA683077.

Matchminer works for me because I'm calling Rserve and Matchminer from Java,
the response is relatively quick, and I don't have to worry about keeping
the data current.
Dave.