[BioC] Re: technical replicates (again!): a summary

Johan Lindberg johanl at kiev.biotech.kth.se
Thu Apr 1 09:51:03 CEST 2004

Hmm, it seems to me (from not being a statestician point of view) as if the
only safe way of dealing with technical replicates is to just use average
and then to put in the true biological replicates in the statistical test
you are using. I did not get any comment on another strategy using
duplicateCorrelation as an estimatior for my technical replicates. The idea
is like this:
You have two dye swap pairs from different patients:
Cy3                Cy5
Patient1     Control
Control      Patient1
Patient2    Control
Control       Patient2

You have all the data in a M-value matrix.
Instead of just averaging over the technical dye swap pairs you create an
new M-value matrix with columns twice as long as the original M-value
matrix. You put in the first dye swap pair as if they would belong to the
same slide. Example:
Old M-value matrix:
         Patient1A       Patient1        Patient2        Patient2
genes   30000           30000           30000           30000

New M-value matrix
         Patient1        Patient2
genes   60000           60000

Which means that the first "slide" of the new MAobject contains both
hybridizations from patient1. The idea of duplicateCorrelation is to
extract as much information as possible from within-slides replicate spots.
This is done by estimating the correlation between them. By using
duplicateCorrelation you get an approximation of genewise variance instead
of just taking the average. So why not use this between slides as well? Is
this a better approach then just taking averages?
comments?

Best regards

/ Johan Lindberg