[BioC] How to do k-fold validation using SVM

Torsten Hothorn Torsten.Hothorn@rzmail.uni-erlangen.de
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:28:24 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Stephen Henderson wrote:

> Is there a simple??? way to do a gene/feature selection for each round of
> cross validation-- using the ipred errorest function?

by supplying your own `model' argument / function to `errorest':

model <- function(formula, data, ....) {
  # 1) evaluate the formula, so you end up with
  # y (classes) and X (matrix of expression values, I guess)
  # look at any of the foo.formula methods or errorest.data.frame, for
  # example
  # 2) perform the gene / feature selection, so you endup with a
  # subset of features from X, say Xsub

  # 3) and finally call your favorite classifier and return its output

  randomForests(y ~ ., data=Xsub)
}

then `cv.factor' calls `model' for each fold. No idea if this is "simple"
(no. 1 probably isn't) but relying on the `model(formula, data, ...)'
interface makes it flexible. You
can pass more arguments to `model' by "...": for example the number of
genes to be selected...

Hope this helps,

Torsten