[BioC] BioConductor Affy package

Susan J. Miller sjmiller@u.arizona.edu
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 11:27:41 -0700

Hello,

I am trying to use BioConductor's affy package, but there must be
something wrong with the way we have things configured.  We are running
Solaris8 with R-1.6.1 and I have tried the following without success:

cd CELFILES
> library(affy)
Error in library(affy) : This is not a valid package -- no DESCRIPTION
exists

Then I tried this:
> setwd("~")
> source("getBioC.R")
> getBioC(libName = "all")
Running getBioC version 1.2.3 ....
Please direct any concerns or questions to
bioconductor@stat.math.ethz.ch.

[1] "Getting/installing packages reposTools and Biobase"
Welcome to Bioconductor
         To view some introductory material -- look at our vignettes
         Simply type: openVignette()
         to see the available vignettes
         To read a vignette see the openVignette help page for details
Creating a new generic function for "summary" in package
Biobase

Attaching package `Biobase':

        The following object(s) are masked from package:base :

         split summary

Note: http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib does not seem to have a
valid repository, skipping
[1] "Attempting to download  ROC from
http://www.bioconductor.org/repository/release1.1/package/Source"
trying URL
`http://www.bioconductor.org/repository/release1.1/package/Source/.//ROC_1.0.1.tar.gz'
Content type `application/x-tar' length 80744 bytes
opened URL
.......... .......... .......... .......... ..........
.......... .......... ........
downloaded 78Kb

[1] "Download complete, now installing ..."
ERROR: cannot write to or create directory '/usr/local/lib/R/library'
Error in file(file, "wb") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning messages:
1: Installation of package ROC had non-zero exit status in:
downAndInPkg(lib, repDf[pkgRows, ], repURL, type, versForce = versForce)
2: cannot open file `/usr/local/lib/R/library/liblisting.Rda'

I looked for the liblisting file and it is readable - and it looks like
I would need write access to /usr/local/lib/R/library for this approach
to work so hopefully I can use library(affy) instead.

I think we have things set up incorrectly...can anyone suggest some
things we might try to get this working?

--
Thank you,
-susan

Susan J. Miller