[BioC] RMA hist

Rafael A. Irizarry ririzarr at jhsph.edu
Tue Aug 26 13:38:12 MEST 2003

i dont expect the distribution of exprs(eset) to be normal. why should
RNA expression log-scale levels in any tissue follow a normal
distribution? some physical
models (and SAGE data) suggest expression should follow a power law
(very different from a normal distribution) and
the results of exprs(eset) are sometimes in agreement with this.

what has a chance of being normal is the distribution of expression for
the same gene across technical or biological reps. im not sure if the
procedure you follow requires these assumptions to hold, but if they do
you should
look at significance assessments with caution as they are sometimes driven
by these assumptions (especially with small amounts of data). permutation
tests are an alternative when one cant make these assumptions althought
they too can be misleading with small amounts of data.

i find looking at volcano plots helpful in these situations.

hope this helps,
rafael