[BioC] microarray normalization

Natalie Thorne thorne at wehi.edu.au
Sat Aug 9 11:56:55 MEST 2003

Hi Alberto,

There has not been much in the literature (as you say) about normalizing
single-channel data.  I have been working on this, looking at combining
two-channel approaches that allow the recovery of logR, logG
single-channels (i.e pin-group lowess etc) plus approaches used for
affymetrix normalisation (i.e quantile normalisation).

In the following reference I wrote a small intro to the problem of
normalising single-channel data from two-colour cDNA microrarrays with
Jean.

Normalization for Two-color cDNA Microarray Data
Yee Hwa Yang and Natalie P. Thorne
IMS Lecture Notes -- Monograph Series, Volume 40, 2003
Science and Statistics: A Festschrift for Terry Speed
Editor: Darlene R. Goldstein

The main reason the rest of my work hasn't been published is that I am in
the last few months of finishing my PhD thesis (time issue!), but I plan
to publish soon after that.  My main focus is on the assessment of
proposed single-channel normalisation methods.

It sounds as though you may be using cDNA data which only has one colour.
I haven't had any experience with this kind of data, but I would recommend
you look at the quantile normalisation method (there is a routine in
the R Limma package library) and think/look carefully how it is doing.  We
find it works quite well.  If you do infact have two-colour data, try a
pin-group normalisation on the M-values, then quantile normalise across
slides the A-values.  Then take Mp and Aq and recontruct logR and logG
(pretty easy to figure out).

Hope this helps.

Natalie