[BioC] Defining Weights in marrayNorm.

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Tue Aug 5 11:25:55 MEST 2003

Dear James and Jim,

Actually the maNorm function doesn't make use of weights, even though
weights might be set in the marrayRaw object. If you look at the code for
maNorm you will see that the weights are set to NULL when the call is main
to maNormMain.

If you want to use weights for normalization you need either to use the
lower level function maNormMain (which appears to use weights) or use the
normalization routines in the limma package instead.

In limma you use read.maimages to read the data into, perhaps picking up
the quality weights from genepix or quantarray in the process. If you have
made your own weights, you can simply assign them to the weights component,
e.g.,

RG <- read.maimages(files, source=your image analysis program)
RG$weights <- your.weights
RG$printer <- info about array layout, e.g.,
list=(ngrid.c=4,ngrid.r=4,nspot.r=20,nspot.c=20)
MA <- normalizeWithinArrays(RG)

Gordon